Rehabilitation of the Iraqi Republic Railways rolling stock
Al-Burhan Group (ABG) have found in H.Cegielski - Fabryka Pojazdów Szynowych Spółka z o.o. (FPS) of Pozań, Poland, a reliable partner for the rehabilitation of Iraqi Republic Railways (IRR) coaches.
FPS is a limited-liability company established in April 1997 in connection with organisational changes of H.CEGIELSKI - POZNAN SA and fully owned by HCP SA. The new Company is based on former Locomotive and Rail Coach Factory of HCP SA and covers its activity range - production, repair and modernisation of rail vehicles. FPS holds a Certificate of Quality System Certyfikat Jakości ISO 9001 granted by Germanischer Lloyd and Polski Rejestr Statków. The company employs highly qualified, experienced and competent full-time specialists.
According to ABG Statistical & Informational Department, IRR has only 23% from their total number of coaches in operation. Therefore, there is an urgent demand to modernise and rehabilitate their rolling stock.
Refurbishment and modernization of railway coaches is the main technical solution of Iraqi Railway Company in order to speed up the modernisation of their fleet and enlarging its services by adopting a low economic cost.
The advantages of refurbishment of coaches are the following:
1. It allows further exploitation of rolling stock enlarging its service life in up to 25 years.
2. It keeps vehicles updated and adapted to quality and comfort market demands.
3. It allows conversion of coaches from one type to another according to the service they are intended for. Therefore a second class saloon coach can be transformed into a first class coach, a compartment coach, or a restaurant coach and vice versa.
4. Significant savings vs. purchase of new coaches (3 refurbished coaches = 1 new coach).
Al-Burhan Group goal is to put the Iraqi railway coaches back on track through the following works of refurbishment & modernisation:
- Passenger car body refurbishment (interior & exterior)
- Replacement of bogies
- Assembly of new air conditioning systems
- Replacement of water installations
- Assembly of new electric system
ABG and FPS are working jointly on this project and are in the process of sending a fully qualified team to Iraq to inspect the coaches, which is scheduled for 2010 and suggest the best solutions for the rehabilitation. The refurbishment works are expected to begin shortly after this assessment.